Every night after we tuck our son into bed, my husband and I turn on HGTV. We are both utterly obsessed with all of the shows featured on the channel. This year we have been paying even more attention when we watch, as we are about to begin the process of buying our first home. Thankfully, we are both in agreement as to what type of house we want and what we want the interior to look like. We both love the idea of an all-white, open concept floor plan with a huge master bathroom. Of course, there are other things on our wish list that we would like as well, but we are okay if the home that we purchase needs a little bit of renovating.
The following are some photos that I found on Pinterest that show what our future dream home would look like:
In order to purchase a dream home, most people must get approved for a home loan. This process can be incredibly overwhelming! That is why I teamed up with CapitalOne to give some tips for first-time homebuyers that we ourselves will be following.
Tips for First-Time Homebuyers
- The first step for homebuyers is figuring out how much you can afford. Start by sticking to the correct price range. A rule of thumb is to look at houses that are 2.5 times your annual salary.
- Ideally, your monthly housing payment should not be more than 28% of your gross household monthly income.
- Use an online mortgage calculator to help figure out what you can afford.
- Your financial history is important. Lenders look at income, assets, job history, credit score, total debt, and how much you are willing to put down as a down payment.
- The traditional estimate for a down payment is 20% of the purchase price of the house.
- Remember that closing costs can add to the amount you need to close your loan and take possession of your new home. Look them over carefully, because they can vary from one lender to another.
- Mortgages come in all shapes and sizes, and which one you choose depends on a lot of variables, including your budget, the amount you can afford to put down, the interest you will pay, and the term length. All mortgages have pros and cons, however starting with at least a top-line understanding of what is available is important as you save for this major purchase.
- Capital One’s goal is to help first-time homebuyers understand how the home loan process works, which is why they have launched a new online learning center that features the know-how they will need to become the savviest homeowners on the block.
- The Capital One Home Loans Online Neighborhood is a free online resource where you can learn all about home buying. They have gathered easy-to-understand articles and helpful videos, as well as information about Capital One’s home loans offerings.
- If you are interested in learning more about Capital One home loans and how they can help you get your dream home, visit https://www.capitalone.com/home-loans/direct/learning-center or call #855-900-8886.
Buying a home is an important and life changing process, but certainly not a simple one. Capital One’s new online resource lays the groundwork for everything you need to know. I know my husband and I will be referring to their website repeatedly until we find our dream home.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.