You have probably seen the commercials, read the reviews, and heard all of your friends talk about how great their experience was with Invisalign. But is it really worth the cost? And more importantly, is it worth all of the hassle? Here is what you need to know before making a decision.
What is Invisalign and how does it work?
Invisalign is a clear aligner that gradually moves your teeth into place. It is custom-made for each individual and consists of a series of clear, nearly invisible plastic trays that fit snugly over your teeth. As you wear each set of trays for about two weeks, your teeth will slowly begin to shift into the desired position. Then, you will move on to the next set of trays in the series until your treatment is complete.
What does the process of getting Invisalign entail?
Getting Invisalign is a pretty straightforward process. First, you will need to schedule a consultation with an orthodontist or dentist who is certified to provide Invisalign treatment. During the consultation, they will evaluate your smile and let you know if Invisalign is right for you. If it is, they will take impressions, x-rays, and photos of your teeth, which will be used to create a custom treatment plan.
Once your treatment plan has been created, you will receive your first set of aligners. You will need to wear these aligners for at least 20 hours each day, taking them out only to eat, brush and floss. Then, after every two weeks, you will move on to the next set of aligners in the series. As you progress through the treatment, you will notice your teeth gradually shifting into place.
When you are done with all the aligners in your treatment plan, you will need to wear a retainer to maintain your new smile. It is important that you wear your retainer for at least 22 hours a day for the first three months. After which, you can switch to just wearing it at night for the rest of the treatment.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is a great option for people who are looking to straighten their teeth, but do not want to deal with the hassle of traditional braces. Some of the benefits of Invisalign include:
- Treatment conditions: Invisalign is an efficient way to straighten your teeth, but it can also be used to correct a host of other dental problems, such as gaps in teeth, overbite, underbite, and crossbite. This makes it an invaluable treatment option for people with complex orthodontic issues.
- Finesse: Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, which means that people will hardly notice that you are wearing them. This is a great option for people who are looking to straighten their teeth without drawing attention to their smile.
- Comfort: Invisalign is made from a smooth plastic material that is designed to be gentle on your gums and inner cheeks. This means you will not have to deal with the discomfort often associated with traditional braces.
- Removable: One of the best things about Invisalign is that they are removable. This means you can take them out to eat, brush and floss without worrying about food getting stuck in your aligners.
- Easy to clean: Since Invisalign is removable, it is also very easy to keep clean. You can simply brush and floss like normal and then give your aligners a quick rinse before putting them back in.
- Customization: Invisalign treatment is customized for each individual. As a result, your aligners will be specifically designed to fit your mouth and teeth.
Advantages of Invisalign over braces
The biggest advantage of Invisalign over traditional braces is that they are virtually invisible. Unless you are up close and personal with someone, they are very difficult to see. This is a huge plus for adults who are worried about looking like they are back in high school.
Aside from that, other advantages include:
- Shorter treatment time: Invisalign is often able to straighten teeth in a shorter amount of time than braces. This is because each aligner is specifically designed to move your teeth a specific amount.
- Fewer office visits: Since Invisalign treatment is completely customizable, you will not need to visit the orthodontist’s office for frequent adjustments. This means that you will save time and money in the long run.
- No food restrictions: One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign over braces is that you will not have to worry about food restrictions. Moreover, because the aligners are removable, you can take them out to eat and then brush and floss when you are done.
Is Invisalign worth the cost?
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to invest in Invisalign is a personal one. However, if you are looking for an effective and nearly invisible way to straighten your teeth, Invisalign may be the right choice for you.
Additionally, because Invisalign is often more efficient and flexible than braces, you may be able to achieve your desired results in a shorter timeframe. So, if you are considering Invisalign treatment, be sure to talk to an experienced orthodontist so that they can create a customized treatment plan for you.