Horticultural lighting systems have been in use for a while now and they keep being improved over the years to make them more efficient, and to improve the quality of produce as well as the yield. LED grow lights are all the rage right now when it comes to indoor farming because of the numerous advantages they have over other lighting systems. They are relatively new, so many people still do not know much about them and how they work. This article contains all you need to know about LED grow lights. So if you are thinking of investing in them, this is definitely the right article for you.
How they work
LED stands for light emitting diode, and as the name suggests, LED grow lights produce light when the diode is activated. Unlike other lighting systems, nothing is burnt to produce this light, which is one of the things that make LED grow lights better than other horticultural lighting systems. First off, the fact that nothing is burnt means that the amount of heat emitted in the process is lower. This eliminates the need to invest in extra fans to cool the surroundings, and therefore helps save money on energy bills. Secondly, since nothing is burnt, LED lights do not burn out like other lighting fixtures and are therefore more durable. They only need to be replaced if the color of the diodes changes, which is not a very common occurrence.
Tips to help you make the best use of your LED grow lights
- The purpose of having LED grow lights is to mimic natural sunlight. Therefore, you should place them directly over the plants for the best results.
- You can place the lights very close to the plants because they have lower heat signature compared to other lighting systems. However, ensure that they are not in contact with the plants. You should also test them on the back of your hand to check whether they are too hot for the plants. If they are, move them up higher to avoid damaging the plants. Too much heat will affect both the quality of your produce and the yield.
- Invest in light timers or programmable LED grow lights so that you can automatically turn the lights on and off at specific times each day. This way, the light cycle will be regular and your plants will not have to suffer because you forgot to turn the lights on or off. Your work will also be easier, and you will be able to leave your plants unattended for a couple of days if you ever need to.
- Different light colors are important for different stages in the plants’ growth, so should consult a grow light spectrum chart when setting up your lights. Violet-blue light is important as it promotes the growth of the plants. On the other hand, red light promotes budding.
- Be careful not to over-water your plants when using LED grow lights. This is because these lights emit less heat than natural sunlight and other lighting systems. Therefore, your plants will need less water.
Check out Green Depot Denver for customer reviews on LED grow lights and recommendations on the best ones to buy. You might also get a coupon for grow lights and other supplies you might need for your indoor garden.