Proper oral care indeed is one of the critical responsibilities which come with becoming a parent. The teeth of a child compared to that of an adult are more susceptible to fractures and cavities. So, it is crucial for parents to bring their little one a minimum of twice a year for dental check-ups. When a child is already suffering from a toothache before visiting a dentist, it will become a challenge for the parent in convincing him/her to have a doctor check their teeth. The fear of having more pain to the existing pain will hinder their ability to trust a dentist particularly with all scary sounds and odd-looking tools present in the dental office. To keep away from all such hassles parents should take their bundle of joy to a pediatric dentist.
Importance of Good Oral Health During the Young Age
Good oral health undoubtedly is a crucial part of the total health. Dental care at every stage of life is essential, but this is more important at the young age when it demands special concerns both of parents as well as a specialist pediatric dentist for implementing preventive dental care habits which will keep your little one free from oral/dental disease for the remaining of their life. At the time of your child’s growth phase, they will adopt some oral habits such as nail biting, teeth grinding, lip biting, tongue thrusting, mouth breathing and thumb sucking which can permanently or temporarily harm the teeth and also the tooth supporting structure. Thus, it is essential in controlling such habits for keeping a check on the dental problems, yet if you see any such problem take your child to a pediatric Plantation FL Dentist right away.
Along with helping your child in avoiding bad habits, they will also motivate them in feeling good and at ease when it comes to visiting a dentist and teaching them the tips of taking proper care of their teeth. For more information on dentistry for kids; visit the site.
Points to Remember While Selecting a Pediatric Dentist
A pediatric dentist is not much different from a usual dentist. He possesses the same degree and also the same responsibilities, but the only thing that sets them apart is the special certification training which they undergo on ways to handle children. Besides, they study various techniques and procedures like deep and conscious sedation which they apply to treat kids with autism. A pediatric dentist is also recommended for kids with ADS as he is aware of this illness’s symptoms and has specialized training for managing kids with autism for completing the necessary procedures. Today, pediatric dentists are available in plenty so if you wish to choose the best consider these points sincerely,
- Certification and Qualification– Always choose a pediatric dentist who has done a course in the field of Pediatric Dentistry from a renowned and accredited institution. Qualification and certification in this case matter a lot.
- Licensed- Ensure that the pediatric dentist that you take your child to possess the license which permits them in practicing the dental profession in their state. A professional dental license is approved and provided by the respective state board. Generally, you will come across the dentist’s certification of licenses displayed in the dental clinic’s reception area but if it is not present ask for it.
- Excellent Behavior Management Skills- Kids with ASD have disrupted social and communication skills. So, it is vital to look for a pediatric dentist that possesses excellent behavior management skills. A pediatric dentist that will greet your little one with a smile will be quite a good start. These dentists undergo specialized training to use communication depending on the dynamic procedure of facial, dialogue expression as well as voice tone.
- Location- Also take into consideration the distance of your home and the dental care clinic. It is wise to choose a clinic that is nearby. Longer distances may prolong the anxiety in the child resulting in temper tantrums.
- Highly Knowledgeable in His Domain- Always choose a pediatric dentist that possesses the needed knowledge and expertise on the various procedures and techniques to treat kids – advanced and basic alike. They should be capable of carrying out both routine dental care and special treatment for your little one and most importantly be well-informed when asked to perform a complicated procedure like sedation or root canal.
- Ask Around- Always take recommendations from friends and family, after all, it is about the oral care of your child. They may guide you or suggest you with an excellent pediatric dentist.
- Well, Equipped Clinic- Always check whether the pediatric dentist’s clinic is well equipped or not with the required materials. For instance, if your kid needs sedation, things like intubation sets, pulse oximeter, oxygen tank and papoose board should be available readily.
Benefits of Consulting a Pediatric Dentist
A pediatric dentist is one who offers oral care chiefly to infants and kids through adolescence and also includes those having special health needs. For acquiring this knowledge, a pediatric dentist attends a special dental education program. This training includes different areas of study such as,
- General anesthesia
- Conscious sedation
- Care for patients having special needs
- Child development
- Child-related pharmacology
- Oral pathology
- Surgical procedures and advanced diagnostic
- Child oral trauma
- Child psychology
To set up the first dental appointment of your child can be confusing. Being a parent, you may think whether or not you should take your child to a pediatric dentist or a general dentist. Take a look at some convincing reasons as to why consulting a pediatric dentist makes sense,
- Specialize in Children’s Teeth- A pediatric dentist gets specially trained for treating the developing teeth of children. They are aware of the unique issues that kids face like gum problems and cavities. Besides, they also know the complexities regarding the growth and development of teeth and will also check for potential issues. Besides they possess the experience to deal with a frightened kid and can assist your kid in feeling comfortable and at ease with the dentist.
- Child-Friendly Equipment- Though it is not harmful to use dental equipment on kids of a standard size, the small equipment designed for a kid’s mouth used by a pediatric dentist will be a better choice. Most of these dentists will help in easing your kid into dental exams via introducing one equipment each time. This way kids will get habituated to the often scary looking and complex equipment devoid of overwhelming them.
- Pay Attention to Preventative Care- A pediatric dentist will pay attention to the prevention of dental issues for ensuring good dental health for a lifetime. They can provide you with the right advice and at the same time teach your little one regarding developing healthy habits such as brushing teeth twice a day and also flossing. Besides, a pediatric dentist will possess the most recent information concerning preventative treatments as they specifically pertain to kids.
- Toys and Bright Décor- The dental clinic of a pediatric dentist are decked with décor in bright colors and filled with games and toys to make kids feel at home. Some clinics play famous kids cartoons for distracting them during the exam. The best part is they offer toys and stickers after the appointment for building the level of comfort of the child. When your kids see other kids having a dental experience that is positive, they can utilize this as a model which they can follow.
Treat Children of Every Age
An excellent and experienced pediatric dentist along with being familiar with all the skills required for treating the dental needs of the kids will also possess the skills of working with nervous children. They will offer some form of distractions and fun activities and also reward the child if they sit through properly during the appointment or looked after their teeth via their own. Magazines, toys, toothbrushes, and toothpaste are provided in the office for kids of every age to keep them entertained and interested rather than bored or scared while at the dental clinic. A pediatric dentist will possess sound experience to deal with children, will be friendly with them, reduce their fears as well as keep them interested in maintaining good dental health after leaving the clinic as well.
These early experiences indeed will work wonders in shaping the thoughts of the child regarding who a dentist is. It is always wise to choose an excellent pediatric dentist who will make your child feel at ease, develop a good rapport with them and also provide them with the best oral care. If you are nervous in taking your little one to a pediatric dentist as you are not much aware of their reputation, you will transfer this nervousness into your kid. So, do proper researches, get references, do some homework to ensure that you choose the best dentist and your child comes out smiling from the dental care clinic.