Compelling reading and writing skills are essential for success in today’s world. Unfortunately, not all students develop these skills naturally. Students with dyslexia and other reading difficulties require specialised instruction to acquire fundamental reading and writing skills. This is where the Orton Gillingham certification comes into play. OG is a research-based approach to teaching reading, writing, and spelling designed for students with dyslexia and other reading difficulties. This approach helps educators teach students the logic of language and develop the essential skills to become successful readers and writers.
This comprehensive guide takes you to the importance of OG Training in detail.
Who Benefits From Orton-Gillingham Training?
- OG training is beneficial for students struggling with reading, spelling, and writing, but it is especially effective for students with dyslexia. Dyslexia is a common learning disability that affects an estimated 10-15% of the population.
- Students with dyslexia have difficulty processing language, making reading, writing, and spelling challenging. The OG approach provides students with dyslexia the tools they need to break down language into smaller, more manageable parts, helping them develop fundamental reading and writing skills.
- In addition to students with dyslexia, OG training benefits English language learners (ELLs) and struggling readers. ELLs often have difficulty learning to read and write in English because they are learning a new language while simultaneously trying to master literacy skills.
- The multisensory approach used in OG training can help these students understand the basic sounds of English and how to link these sounds with letters and words.
What Is Orton-Gillingham Certification?
- This is a professional designation that demonstrates an educator’s expertise in using the OG approach to teach reading, writing, and spelling.
- This certification programs typically consist of courses covering the OG approach’s fundamental principles and strategies for implementing the approach in the classroom.
- Various organisations offer OG certification programs, including universities, schools, and private training companies. These programs typically take several months to complete and require significant time and effort.
- However, educators who complete an OG certification program gain a deep understanding of the OG approach. They are well-equipped to help students with dyslexia and other reading difficulties develop the fundamental reading and writing skills they need to succeed.
Benefits of Orton Gillingham Certification for Educators
- It provides educators with the knowledge and skills needed to teach students with dyslexia and other reading difficulties effectively. Educators who complete this program gain a deep understanding of the basic sounds of language and how to teach these sounds to struggling readers. They also learn strategies for teaching students to decode words, comprehend written text, and develop practical writing skills.
- In addition to helping students, this certification can also benefit educators themselves. It can enhance an educator’s professional development and increase their marketability. Educators certified in the OG approach are in high demand and can work in various settings, including public and private schools, tutoring centres, and private practice.
- Moreover, this certification is a way for educators to demonstrate their commitment to providing high-quality instruction to their students. This program is a rigorous process that requires significant time and effort. Educators who complete an OG certification program show that they are dedicated to providing evidence-based instruction to their students and are committed to their professional growth and development.
- Additionally, this program can help educators better understand their students’ learning needs. The OG approach emphasises the importance of individualised instruction and multisensory teaching techniques. Educators certified in the OG approach are better equipped to identify students’ learning needs and adapt instruction accordingly.
- Finally, the OG program can also benefit educators by providing them with a community of like-minded professionals. Certified OG educators can join professional organisations and attend conferences and workshops to further their professional development and connect with other educators who share their passion for teaching literacy.
In conclusion, Orton Gillingham certification is essential for educators working with students with dyslexia and other reading difficulties. The OG approach is a research-based method for teaching reading, writing, and spelling that uses a multisensory approach to instruction. As such, it is a professional designation that demonstrates an educator’s expertise in using the OG approach to teach literacy.