Summer is here and schools will be closed for the holidays. Now it is vacation time! Make the most of the summer holidays and keep your family healthy at the same time.
We only have glorious sunshine for a few months each year. Thus, we make the most of the weather by being outdoors as much as possible. We sit in the garden and throw picnics and BBQs. We spend full days at the beach or in swimming pools. Many hours are whiled away at outdoor cafes and bars. Do all of these and more, however remember to keep yourself safe from the sun’s harmful rays. Not only can they cause a painful sunburn, but they can lead to serious illnesses such as skin cancer.
Keep you and your family safe from the sun by following these tips:
- Stay in the shade when the sun is at its strongest
- Cover up whenever possible
- Wear a wide brimmed sun hat to protect your head and face
- Use sunblock
- Wear sunglasses
- Drink plenty of water to ensure you remain hydrated
Deal With Hay Fever
One of the downsides of summer is that it can trigger allergies. One of the most common summertime allergies is hay fever. This is caused by pollen. It is very difficult to avoid this altogether, even if you live in the city. However, there are a few precautions you can take:
- Stay indoors as much as possible
- Close your windows and doors
- Place a small amount of vaseline on the inside of your nostrils, this will catch pollen particles
- Avoid having cut flowers in the house
- Vacuum and dust regularly
- Avoid drying clothes on the washing line
- Wear wraparound sunglasses
- Take a shower and wash your clothes after being outdoors
There are many over the counter medications that help ease the symptoms of hay fever and other allergies.
During the summer months and on vacation it is tempting to overindulge. Ice-cream, alcoholic drinks, and other treats are hard to resist. Nor should you! Just make sure that treats are consumed in moderation. For the rest of the time keep to a healthy diet.
Make the most of the wonderful seasonal fruits and vegetables that are available. Take the family on a strawberry picking trip and be creative with your hoard.
Where possible, make healthy versions of your favorite treats. For example, non-dairy ice-cream and healthy cocktails.
Lying on the beach is wonderful and should be encouraged. You should also find ways to incorporate exercise into your summer. The following are all fun activities that will provide you with a workout without you even knowing it:
- Jump on a trampoline
- Go for a walk or a run
- Go for a bike ride and get the whole family involved
- Spruce up the garden ready for BBQ season
- Go swimming
- Do yoga
- Play tennis
- Paddle in the sea
- Play volleyball on the beach
- Dance into the early hours at a festival
Have a wonderful summer! Embrace everything it has to offer. And above all, stay safe!