These days caffeine has almost penetrated every drink. It is no longer limited to your coffee or tea. The cold drinks and instant energy drinks are loaded with caffeine.
We do not allow our children to have coffee or tea, but see no harm in serving them the other drinks. What we do not know is that the other drinks have excess of sugar content to suppress the strong taste of coffee, which makes it much more fatal combination.
Can Caffeine Provide Health Benefits For Kids?
As a parent, we have always tried to restrict our children from intake of caffeine in any form. However, recent studies have forced us lately to think again.
Here are few things that you will be amazed to know about caffeine:
- Coffee helps in improving the mental alertness of your child. The time when he is preparing for his test, let him have a cup of coffee by his side, he would surely score better.
- We all are aware of Parkinson’s Disease and how it can be a reason for emotional trauma. But, recent studies have proved that the regular intake of caffeine can reduce its occurrence by 25%.
- If you are worried about your children’s immune system. Let caffeine take some part of that responsibility. It can help protect the body against free radicals.
- With the increase in the competition and peer pressure, children are more prone to depression than adults. This fact is shocking, but too true to be ignored. Caffeine helps in frightening against depression in your kids.
- Last, but not the least, caffeine refreshes the mood and the mind. What could be better than a warm cup of coffee in the chilling winters?
I am sure you must be feeling a little stressed out after reading the benefits, although there is always a catch. You need to supervise your child’s regular intake and in which form s/he is taking it. This would help them reap the advantages to the fullest.
Risks Associated With Caffeine
This is a common topic for debate. It happens in every family. I would like to outline a few of the major disadvantages that children should be made aware of:
- If you are getting the coffee (which is the best source for caffeine for your child), make sure you check the quality, as it could lead to sickness and headache. Here is a list of recommended drip coffee machines for brewing the perfect cup of coffee.
- Did you know that caffeine can kill? A dose more than 10-13 grams of caffeine in your body can become a reason for your death.
I understand that the article is a bit confusing, as it covers both sides of the coin. But, if you look at the brighter side, you will not be confining your child completely from having caffeine and at the same time would know where and when to pull the strings. Let your kid enjoy the drinks and put a stop to it when they reach the limit. Always stay updated!