It is the right trailer that can save your precious time and also ensure safe transport. Such peace of mind is undoubtedly essential especially in case of hauling heavy goods over long distances. Different kinds of hauling need different kinds of trailers and every variety are created to suit a particular cargo. Hence to pick the most appropriate trailer, it is vital on your part to know about every variety, its benefits and also its capacity. Take a look at the different types of trailers that are available these days to make your task easy.
- Enclosed or Box Trailers- It is widely used by a trucker particularly a new truck driver, because it is an extremely safe option. Boxes or enclosed cargo trailers will provide the cargo with extra protection. The best part is it will protect the cargo against damaging weather conditions. Either from the sides or the rear, it can be loaded quickly. Its capacity of hauling, however, is restricted owing to the enclosed structure. A box or enclosed trailer generally is used for hauling precious or delicate cargo.
- Open or Flatbed Trailers- This type of trailer is highly versatile and comes in different varieties — step deck trailers and extendable flatbed trailer. It does not provide any protection against the elements thereby restricting the type of cargo it can carry. But this utility loss is covered up by its increased capacity for hauling.
- Refrigerated Trailers- This fall, under the enclosed trailer category and is unique, because it comes with a temperature control system. In case of perishable goods which cannot withstand specific temperatures, such trailers will be perfect for hauling. Through this trailer, you can carry food items such as meat which is sensitive to temperature and requires long-distance transportation.
- Tank Trailer- Such trailers are enclosed and used for carrying grain, sand, chemicals or water. A tank trailer has been designed for protecting the cargo and generally need to be cleaned post completion of the transportation. At times hauling on such trailers requires a special permit depending on the cargo’s nature.
- Specialized Trailer- It can either be enclosed or open with a functional hauling capacity. Side Kit trailers, for instance, are an enclosed trailer which is covered using fiberglass or plywood. Such containers carry cargo which cannot be created or packaged. Lowboy trailer is another example which comes with steep drop decks and used for hauling weights the height of which will exceed its own.
- Dry Vans- This is a type of trailer which is different and unique from the rest. It is again an enclosed trailer and is widely used to transport goods along the highways, because it will keep the products safe against the elements and also safe against the chances of falling. A dry van can handle a maximum weight of about 42,000-45,000 pounds. Mostly they are loaded as well as unloaded always from the back yet there are some that can be discharged especially from the side.
- Step Deck Trailers- This is akin to a flatbed trailer. The only difference here is that the maximum freight height in case of a step deck trailer is 10 feet. A step deck trailer is to carry those cargoes which cannot be taken by a flatbed trailer. Here you can pack an extra 2 feet to height-wise on the container which in case of a flatbed trailer is not possible. To know more, contact Dacco Trailers Wells Cargo Dealer.
- Gooseneck Trailers- It comes with a dual hitch system and will provide more stability compared to a bumper pull. Here, the sway reduces because of the trailer weight being over the rear axle of the truck rather than behind the frame. A gooseneck trailer comes with a tight turn radius which can accommodate higher weight owing to its increased stability.
- Lowboy Trailer- This unpowered trailer is used for hauling freight and has been designed for carrying and transporting taller items and goods. It means the products that this trailer can carry are taller than an item’s legal height which they usually carry through a flatbed. A lowboy trailer can haul about 40,000 pounds.
- Conestoga Trailers- It comes with rolling tarp systems which you can use for covering and uncovering the trailer as well as provides the freight with the needed protection.
- Power Only Trailer- This is a special trailer which can tow different forms of containers. A power only trailer has a ball and hitch, pintle hitch and fifth wheel hitch. When the freight is overweight just four axles will be allowed.
- Specialized Trailers- They have been made specifically for certain freight types and usually used with dolly trailers, double gooseneck, and perimeter.
- Tandem Trailer- It is indeed a workhouse especially in case of farming and light commercial use. More often a tandem trailer is used for bigger payloads yet bigger equipment pieces can also be put in the back like farm equipment, cattle crushes, fencing amid others.
- Car and Bike Trailers- These can be designed specifically for any bike or car. It has an on-ramp that allows easy loading as well as has a couple of tie down points and wheel channels for securing the bike. Be it a car or a bike trailer, and it can be easily customized to cater to your car’s specifications.
- Tradesman Trailer- These are exclusively for the trades and will allow you in storing all the tools in an organized and secure way and at the same time provide room for equipment on top.
Apart from these, there are many more varieties of trailers that dealers these days offer. It is crucial to pick a trailer resting on the cargo type that you plan to haul and also considering your budget. There are many trailer companies these days that rent or sell an array of trailers for various needs. Always get in touch with an authorized trailer dealer to reap the perks of good quality trailers which you can depend on.