According to the CDC, at least 23,000 human cases of Lyme disease were recorded in 2002. Ticks carry serious diseases that pose a serious health risk for you and your family as well as your pets.
Lyme disease is usually caused by a type of bacteria known as a spirochete. It affects both humans and pets alike. Once infected with this disease, you may feel flu-like symptoms that later on develop into a red rash. Because the symptoms are closely related to that of the common flu, this disease can often be ignored and later on can turn into a serious health issue.
You should take extra measures to prevent a tick infestation. Here are some measures to take before you go for a professional pest control service for help:
- Try and stay away from popular tick habitats when the tick season is at its peak.
- Try your best to avoid sitting on grassy areas, which have long bushes and untidy grass.
- Make sure the grass around your home or apartment is well kept. Keep it short to prevent any ticks from living there.
- Keep leaf litter clean from your garage. Leaf litter can accumulate in your backyard and may go untreated for very long. This attracts ticks, so it should be gotten rid of as soon as possible.
- Use tick repellent on your clothes. Even with a repellent on your clothes, keep checking your body regularly throughout the day when the tick season is at its peak. You never know when a tick may latch on your legs or arms or anywhere else.
- If your house is infested, keep it thoroughly cleaned every single day. Cleaning thoroughly will ensure that the ticks are minimal at your home.
- If you have a kennel for your dog, make sure it is cleaned, as well on a daily basis. You can also apply regular tick treatments around the infested areas to control the tick population. Also, make sure you keep your dog safe from dangerous ticks while you are treating these areas.
- It is best to wear clothes that cover your legs and arms fully. Try to tuck your shirt in your pants and wear socks or boots whenever you are near an area where an infestation is high. Light colored clothes can especially help you track ticks, so wear them if possible.
- When coming out of an infested area, always look for visible signs of ticks on your clothes and body. Ticks usually hide around the back of the neck, so double check this with the help of someone.
- Once out of the infested area, try and take a bath and immediately wash your clothes with lukewarm water.
These are just preventative methods. If your house is under attack by ticks, then you need professional help. Responsible pest control services have trained staff that professionally remove ticks from your home.
This is the best option to go for if you suspect your home has a large and persistent infestation of ticks. With professionals dealing with the problem, you will be able to live in your home with confidence again.