Termite infestation is a huge problem in Sydney today. The warm and humid weather makes it the perfect breeding ground for these pests. And these pests are now causing millions of dollars’ worth of damage to properties all over the city. Here are a few management tips to help you keep your home free of these dangerous pests.
Recognising Termite Infestations
Here are a few ways in which you can find out whether you have a termite problem in your home.
- Termites make mud tunnels for protection, so if you find any in your home or on your property, then you may have an infestation. These types of tunnels are most commonly found on architraves or on brick foundations.
- The timber in your home sounds hollow when you tap on it. This means that termites have already eaten away the inside of the timber.
- The floors or doors in your home are sagging.
- Skirting boards, door jambs or architraves are easily damaged. Since termites eat away at the structural integrity of the timber, even a slight known on these will damage them.
- Plaster or paint that is cracked. Because termites eat away at the timber in your home, this leads to cracks in the plaster or paint.
- Unexplained power failures. Termites are attracted to the warmth generated from electrical fittings inside the walls of your home. They start eating away at the wood near the wiring, which can cause power failures.
What Kind of Damage Can Termites Cause?
It isn’t just the timber in your house that termites attack. They also eat away at your furniture, footwear, clothes, and even non-cellulose products like building sealants, soft plastics and rigid foam insulation.
Managing a Termite Infestation
The first thing you need to do is call in a termites control management Sydney company to help you. Your home and your property need to be thoroughly inspected for possible infestations. Then, the company can carry out termite eradication for you.
However, calling the professionals in not enough. You also need to take steps to ensure that another infestation does not occur. Here are things you can do to make sure that you home remains termite-free:
- Have the professionals come in at least once a year for a thorough inspection.
- Repair any water-leakage problems you may have in your home and on your property.
- Have drains cleaned every four months.
- Have sewage pipes cleaned annually.
- Keep your sub-floor clean and ventilated.
- Clear out any wood that is in direct contact with the ground or close to your home.
Building a New Home
If you are building a new home, then you can build in termite control measures at the very outset. You can install physical barriers such as termite shields, woven stainless steel mesh, finely graded stones, composite systems and reticulation systems to protect your home from termite invasions.
You can also use chemical barriers, however, these barriers will need to be renewed and maintained to prevent termite infestations.