In the days of Instagram and snap chat, anyone can post stunning pictures with beauty filters on but it takes a certain talent to be an actual model and walk the runway. The pursuit of becoming a model has gotten only tougher day by day. Female runway models started receiving the star treatments first in the 90s when supermodels such as Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington and Cindy Crawford graced the cover of every leading fashion magazine including Vogue. They created a legacy that is still inspiring the present-day models.
Pose: The art is only perfected when it is continually practised on a regular basis. Aspiring models ought to learn how to pose. Tyra Banks taught smizing and few other tricks that come handy while posing in front of the camera. To be a successful editorial model one must take striking photographs; there is no alternative to that.
Portfolio: Get a killer portfolio as without one you won’t be getting any call-backs for the auditions. The producers wish to see a versatile artist with a satisfying portfolio. Here are a few tips on how to build a portfolio.
- Select a niche and build the profile on that. There are different types of modelling prerequisites to be met with; some look for an editorial fashion shoot, others for commercial, while others focus on image-diversity. Emphasize on your skill of work and play with what you have to offer.
- Photographer: work with a professional photographer who knows what they are doing. The high school buddy who also takes photos as a passion project just won’t cut it.
- Hair and make-up: Employ professional hair and make-up artist for the portfolio shoot.
- Set up: Try different hair and makeup style and shoot as many pictures as possible. Change clothing and location to get a diverse range of portraits for the portfolio.
- Select the best: take as many photos as possible and then select the best of them. Print them out and viola! You have a stunning portfolio to show prospective clients.
Look Better: Nobody is born without blemishes or with that perfect glow in their skin. It is with hard work and daily exercise, the models maintain their looks. So, to be successful in the game, strive for perfection. Every single Instagram posts need to showcase one’s best self. Maintaining a proper diet chart is important. Take ample care of hair and skin as they are the money-makers in the industry. Invest in natural skincare products that will protect and enhance the glow of the skin. Eat apple cider vinegar gummies that are not only good for clear skin but also promotes new hair growth. Talk to a skincare consultant to get the recommendation of products suited for specific skin type.
Modelling Agency: A model is as good as the people representing them. So, discover the best possible modelling agent in town who will work strategically to get you the important auditions call back.
Act Professional: It is of utmost important to act professionally. No one likes to work with a model who doesn’t understand how to function during a rigorous photo shoot. Maintain a professional approach while working with other co-models without letting personal feeling get attached that might create complications at the workplace.
These days, maintaining a huge number of followers on Instagram and another social media handle is an added advantage. A large group of followers indicates likability among a certain demographic.