Candida is a type of fungus that lives in the body of humans. We have this yeast in different parts of our body like the skin, mouth, belly, gut, and vagina. It usually doesn’t cause any trouble when in small amounts. Sometimes it reaches out of control and causes an infection called Candidiasis or thrush.
Causes and Risks
Candida albicans is the most common species that causes these infections. It usually affects the mouth and genitalia. It can also enter the bloodstream and affect internal organs like the heart, kidney, brain, and liver. This can be fatal.
The fungus multiplies and becomes pathogenic due to hot and humid weather. It mostly affects people with a compromised immune system like HIV and diabetes patients. It can also affect infants or old people with weak immune systems. Some medications like antibiotics, birth control pills, and cancer medications can trigger Candidiasis.
Candidiasis can be distinguished from normal skin infection through certain symptoms. They include redness, flakiness, or soreness in the mouth or the genitalia. It can also be found between folds of skin like fingers, toes, navel, and breast.
Candidiasis is diagnosable by a thorough slide examination of the affected area. An endoscopy is done in some cases to examine the esophagus and the digestive tract.
- Oropharyngeal Candidiasis: It affects the mouth. Symptoms include the sore mouth, redness, patches on the mouth and tongue, and difficulty to swallow. It can sometimes spread to the throat and esophagus. Newborns, old people, people with a weak immune system like cancer, HIV, and diabetes patients are generally affected by it.
- Genital Candidiasis: The cause is due to an imbalance of bacteria and yeast in the vagina. Symptoms include itching, redness, swelling, unusual discharge, and pain during intercourse and urination. Common triggers are antibiotics, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, diabetes, poor sleep, and stress. Though rare, it is sexually transmittable.
- Diaper Rash: It occurs due to sensitive skin, irritation by new products, or a wet and tight diaper. They generally happen in moist and warm conditions. Symptoms are redness, soreness, and irritation. Children and babies are affected by it.
- Invasive Candidiasis: It is an infection, which can be deadly when it reaches the bloodstream. It slowly affects the significant organs of our body like the heart, kidney, eyes, bones and brain. Symptoms are cold and fever. It affects patients who are hospitalized and people with weak immunity.
- Yogurt: It is a probiotic that has Lactobacillus Acidophilus, which can prevent yeast infections like Candidiasis. While having yogurt, avoid adding sugar as it can incite Candidiasis.
- Boric acid: It helps to fight vaginal yeast infections. CDC prescribes 600 mg in capsule form to treat women with Candidiasis. It is not suitable for pregnant women and those with sensitive skin.
- Coconut oil: It is organic and contains caprylic and lauric acid that can effectively fight against Candidiasis.
- Oregano Oil: It has two strong antifungals- thymol and carvacrol that can treat Candidiasis
- Tea tree oil: It is an antifungal that can kill yeasts. Diluted tea tree oil will help to avoid irritation.
- Garlic: It contains allicin, a compound of Sulphur with antifungal properties that can fight Candidiasis. Women with sensitive skin must avoid garlic as it may cause burning.
- Cinnamon: It is not only antifungal but also an anti-inflammatory that can help treat Candidiasis.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps build up immunity. This will help your body to fight Candidiasis.
Heath expert advise us the natural ways to cure candida overgrowth. 80% of people found these ways helpful.
So we can find there are many natural treatments to get rid of candida fast. However, you must contact your doctor immediately in case of irritation. Prevention is better than cure, so maintain good hygiene.