Launceston is already placing itself as the cooler brother to the renowned Hobart. This town was once sleepy, but it is currently gaining worldwide recognition for new hotel and lodge openings, craft breweries, and peculiar wine bars.
Launceston is the second biggest city in Tasmania. It is a vibrant wine and food hub, having a rich culture, and surrounded by nature. The entire region is filled with country and city charm, beautiful old towns, scenic highlights, and excellent wine and food. It is one of the oldest cities in Australia, but it has preserved its early cityscapes. You will typically find century-aged parks and Victorian and Colonial architecture.
In this article, we will discuss things to know about accommodation Launceston has and fun things you could do to make your vacation a memorable one.
Where To Stay In Launceston
If you plan on having a holiday with kids, you may want to choose a destination in Launceston that is close to the attractions. The museums, island setting, and beautiful waterfalls are some of the things that attract families to the city for holidays.
Launceston is about 13 km from Tasmania if you are traveling by air. It also has around 28 hotels that are child-friendly. There are other types of accommodation that you can choose from, too. They include:
1. Serviced Apartment
This type of accommodation is fully-furnished for both long-term and short-term stays. It provides all the amenities you will typically find in a hotel such as a fitness center, laundry room, and room service.
It also has a private kitchen for you to cook your own meals or the owner can assign a chef to you. Some serviced apartments have full-sized kitchens or kitchenettes with a washing machine and a dishwasher.
2. Luxury Hotels
These hotels provide luxurious accommodation experiences to guests. Currently, there is no single standard as four- or five-star hotels are also called “luxury”. However, some of the features of luxury hotels are:
- Intelligent, simple, and easy booking process.
- The check-in and check-out are discreet, easy, and fast.
- You get the exact type of room you request with respect to bed size, classification, category, etc.
- The staff know you by name, are friendly and respectful, making you feel valued.
- The hotel dining is outstanding. You will get a great breakfast (both quantity and quality), 24/7 room service, and more.
- You can expect quality spa treatments, a 24/7 fitness center, personal trainer, pool, packing and unpacking service, laundry service, dog-walking, pet sitting, and babysitting.
- The room features cutting-edge furnishings with expensive, opulent touches, great aesthetic details, original pieces of artwork, and windows that you can open. You can typically find slippers and robes, wide storage, reading chair, desk, hangers, safe, effective AC/heating system, mirror, coffee maker, iPod/iPhone dock, flat-screen television, and a King-sized bed with plenty of pillows and quality sheets.
- The bathrooms are also luxury with a tub for 2, his-and- hers sinks, large counter space, sufficient water pressure, artisan or prestige toiletries, makeup mirror with lights, bidet, hooks or racks, quality towels, ventilation, and more.
3. Resort Accommodation
This type contains luxury facilities with the full service you can get in a hotel. It attracts vacationing tourists and business conference guests. The place is also very convenient. It is characterized by upscale lodgings, distinctive architecture, restaurants, big conference facilities, ballrooms, and various recreation activities like skiing and golf.
You may want to check out https://www.ytravelblog.com/discover-tasmania-launceston-and-surrounds-by-the-locals/ to know what to expect when on a vacation.
When Should You Visit Launceston?
The city has a temperate and cool climate. But since mountains surround their environs, the temperature can change dramatically. There are four distinct seasons — winter, summer, spring, and autumn.
During winter, the temperature can go below 35 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius). During summer, it can rise to mid-70s Fahrenheit (mid-20s Celsius). During that period, there are various festivals for local produce, arts, and entertainment. The spring and autumn are for hiking and bushwalking.
Below is a summary of the seasons.
- Rainiest months (average rainfall is 71 inches): May, August, July, and October
- Driest months (average rainfall is 44 inches): January, February, March, and December
- Coldest months (average temperature is 3 degrees Celsius): September, August, June, and July
- Hottest months (average temperature is 23 degrees Celsius): March, December, January, and February
Things To Do And See In Launceston
There are lots of cultural sights and scenes in the city such as design studios, museums, and art galleries. If you love spectacular sceneries, you can visit the lavender estate where lavender blooms around January and December.
You can embark on boutique shopping, so you can see the latest fashion trends, homewares that are locally-made, and various delectable dishes on sale. However, as you move around the stores, you may have two major challenges. First, you may be confused about what items to buy because there will be so much on sale. Second, you may have trouble finding a big suitcase to accommodate the items you will buy.
The city does not have a lot of waterfalls, but you can drive about 30 minutes out of the city to find Punchbowl Falls. It plummets about 5 meters between some natural rock opening. However, the water is seasonal because it flows to the Kings Meadow Rivulet. You can also visit Lilydale Falls or head to the largest waterfall in Tasmania; Ralphs Falls.
Walking and Hiking
If you would like to walk around and within the city, you can explore the Heritage Trails on foot. You can also stroll to City Park where you would learn about the city’s history. After that, you can visit the ducks and monkeys at the Japanese Macaque.
When you need a wilderness experience, you can visit Cataract Gorge. It is 15 minutes from the city center with lots of hiking and walking trails. It also has the longest single chairlift in the world, a suspension bridge, beautiful gardens, panoramic lookouts, and a pool.
You can read this article to get more information on places to visit in Launceston.
Launceston is a beautiful city that has preserved its old landscapes. There are various locations to visit as well as accommodations for every kind of visitor. We hope this article has been helpful.