Creatine: Everything You Need To Know About This Power-Packed Supplement

August 24, 2021

Creatine is the most effective supplement for increasing gym performance. You can build muscle with creatine monohydrate, as well as gain strength and improve your exercise performance. It also has several other health benefits, including the prevention of neurological disorders. Some people say creatine is dangerous and causes many adverse effects. However, there are no facts behind these assumptions. In reality, creatine monohydrate is one of the most thoroughly researched supplements on the market, with an excellent safety record.

What Exactly Is Creatine?

Creatine is a chemical that occurs naturally, and one can find it in muscle cells. It helps in producing energy in your muscles during high-intensity activities or heavy workouts. Athletes and bodybuilders widely use creatine supplementation to gain muscle, increase strength, and improve workout performance. It has many similarities to amino acids in terms of chemicals.

Meat consumption, exercise, muscle mass, and testosterone levels are just a few of the factors that influence your body’s creatine storage. Approximately 95% of your body’s creatine is present in the form of phosphocreatine in your muscles. The brain, kidneys, and liver contain the remaining 5%.

Phosphocreatine reserves increase when you supplement creatine. It aids your body’s production of ATP, a high-energy molecule, which is the body’s energy currency. Your body can function better throughout exercise if you have more ATP. Creatine affects several cellular processes, resulting in improved muscular mass, strength, and recovery.

What Is The Mechanism Behind It?

Creatine has several benefits for your health and sports performance. Its principal function during high-intensity exercise is to enhance phosphocreatine reserves in your muscles. One can then use the extra stores to make more ATP, the primary energy source for heavy lifting and high-intensity activity. Creatine aids muscular growth in the following ways:

  1. Increases Workload: It allows for real work or volume in a single workout, essential for long-term muscle growth.
  2. Improves Cell Signaling: Increasing satellite cell signalling can help with muscle healing and new muscle growth.
  3. Increases Hormones: The levels of anabolic hormones, such as IGF-1, increases in the body after consuming creatine.
  4. Increases Cell Hydration: It increases the amount of water in your muscle cells, causing a cell volumization action that may aid muscle growth.
  5. Reduces Protein Breakdown: By slowing muscle breakdown, you may gain more overall muscle mass.
  6. Lowers Myostatin Levels: Elevated myostatin levels can stifle or completely stop new muscle growth. Creatine supplementation can reduce these levels, allowing for more development potential.

Creatine supplements also boost phosphocreatine levels in the brain, which may help with brain health and illness prevention.

How To Consume Creatine?

Many supplement users begin with a loading phase, which causes a rapid increase in creatine reserves in the muscles. Take 20 grams of creatine per day for 5–7 days to load up on creatine. It should be divided into four 5-gram portions over the day. Because of the insulin release, absorption may be modestly boosted with a carbohydrate or protein-based diet. To sustain high levels within the muscles after the loading period, one must consume 3–5 grams each day.


Finally, creatine is one of the most affordable, effective, and safe supplements available. It promotes older persons’ quality of life, mental health, and exercise performance. Supplementing is especially beneficial for vegetarians and older persons who may not get enough creatine through their diet. The optimum type for a person, to begin with, is probably creatine monohydrate. To determine if creatine is right for you, try it out today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Andi Perullo de Ledesma

I am Andi Perullo de Ledesma, a Chinese Medicine Doctor and Travel Photojournalist in Charlotte, NC. I am also wife to Lucas and mother to Joaquín. Follow us as we explore life and the world one beautiful adventure at a time.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *