Struggling with neck pain? Understand its causes, treatment, and preventions.
You will find many people complaining about having terrible neck sprain or pain, which can range from mild to severe. No matter the severity of the neck pain, it can indicate something serious underlying behind it.
Here is everything you need to understand about neck pains, their causes, treatments, and all you can do to prevent them.
Different signs and symptoms of neck pain
- Persistent neck pain
- Tingling or burning sensation
- Tender or sensitive pressure
- The pain increases when kept in one place
- Tightness of muscles
The neck pain can be of two kinds:
- Axial: the pain is limited to the neck only
- Radical: the pain extends from neck to shoulders and arms. This can also accompany headaches, numbness and tingling feeling in your arms.
Neck pain can range from acute, lasting for days, months to several years.
Diverse causes and risks associated with neck pain
There could be various conditions that can cause neck pain, such as:
- You might be suffering from strained muscles
- Disc degeneration
- Herniated disc
- Because of trauma
- Any injury your neck might have impacted from
- Growth of tumor and cyst, though this may happen rarely
Here are different conditions that can alleviate your risk of increasing the neck pain:
- Age progression and old age
- If you are going through mental stress
- Extensive physical activity
- If you have gained weight or have become obese
- If you have been traveling or driving for long-distance
- Working at a stretch for long hours in front of a laptop or computer
- Carrying heavily weighted handbags on your shoulder
- Poor sitting posture
- Poor sleeping position
How is neck pain diagnosed?
Depending upon the severity of your pain, medical history and physical examination, your doctor will advise a few tests to check for numbness, tenderness and severity of pain in your neck.
The doctor will also ask a few questions related to your daily activities, any previous injuries you might have suffered and may even recommend the following test:
- Computed tomography scan
- Nerve conduction study
- Blood test
How can neck pain be treated?
There are various medications that your physician will prescribe for eliminating pain. These painkillers help in preventing damaged or injured tissue to release chemicals that cause painful sensations.
- Chiropractic care
Chiropractors will conduct a few examinations to explore the root cause of your pain. They will ask a few questions about your lifestyle and any injury you might have faced that could have originated neck pain.
Here are some questions they might ask:
- When did your pain start?
- Does pain fluctuate, from mild to chronic?
- Does the pain travel from the neck to the other parts?
- Does anything you do help in reducing pain?
The chiropractor will also conduct a neurological and physical examination. They study your posture, motion, physical condition and movements that cause pain to rise. The doctor examines your spine alignment as well.
They can also prescribe x-ray, ct scans or MRIs. Another test, electromyography (EMG), measures how nerves respond.
- Neck Adjustments
A chiropractor will also adopt neck adjustments which will help in improving your spine mobility and motion. This has also proven effective in reducing pain, soreness, and stiffness.
How to prevent neck pain?
A few simple regular modifications can help in preventing back pain, such as:
- Maintain good posture
- Setting your computer monitor at eye level
- Refrain from holding heavy bags on your shoulder
Neck pain can affect your daily tasks, from working on your laptop to driving a car. This pain can have a long-term effect, and it is better to seek medical attention before it becomes chronic. Consult Mid Atlantic Chiropractic Center for attending to your mild to high pains.