Serious car accidents often leave behind major injuries and damages. Car accident victims must know their rights and the options they have for legal recourse. Gaining information allows individuals to discover the steps they must take to get the fair compensation they deserve.
Steps To Take After A Car Accident
The steps taken immediately after a serious car accident become integral for helping victims get fair compensation. Injured car accident victims can find help at Millar Law Firm. The following offers integral steps every car accident victim should consider taking.
- One of the first things a person needs to do is to call 911 and get the authorities to the scene. If there are injuries, report these to the dispatcher right away so EMTs get sent to the scene of the accident.
- Injured victims need to preserve as much evidence from the scene of the accident as possible. Taking photos and videos will help to ensure the victim obtains proof of the accident.
- A victim also needs to ensure they get the contact information of any eyewitnesses to the car crash. Eyewitnesses may testify on behalf of the injured party to prove liability.
- Both parties should exchange contact and insurance information. The police will ask for this information as well. The injured victim should obtain a copy of the police report as soon as it becomes available.
- Injured victims will also need to contact the insurance company and file a claim. Filing a claim starts the process of settling.
Proceed Cautiously With The Insurance Company
Insurance adjusters are not always fair in their attempts to settle claims. Often, they will lowball offers or even deny a claim. Injured individuals must proceed carefully when dealing with the insurance adjuster. A person needs to know the insurance adjuster will record the statement. Anything told to the insurance adjuster may be held against the victim.
If the insurance company refuses to settle fairly, it would be wise for the injured party to learn about their legal options. Getting legal assistance often proves helpful for injured victims who feel they are being given the runaround.
Schedule A Consultation Appointment
After the insurance company denies the claim or offers an unfair settlement, injured victims must pursue a consultation appointment with an injury lawyer. Many injury lawyers offer free consultation appointments for new clients.
At the consultation appointment, an injured victim needs to discuss the details of their accident and how it occurred. Individuals need to bring in any evidence they may have, including photos, videos, and medical records. The more information a person provides, the better equipped the lawyer will be in creating a strong case foundation.
Lawyers Become Advocates For Injured Clients
An injury lawyer becomes an advocate for their injured client. The lawyer first begins investigating the accident to determine the responsible party. Lawyers will also work to gather crucial evidence to hold the other driver responsible so they and their insurance company will pay for the claim.
If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, the injured party has the right to file a lawsuit. The lawyer will take care of all the steps involved in the process of pursuing compensation.
Those who hire a lawyer will find a greater level of peace of mind in the process. Although no outcome can be guaranteed, hiring a lawyer ensures the rights of the victim remain protected.