The Singapore math method is not a new program, it is an unusual approach. Here you do not learn rules and formulas; you get a new understanding of this science. The beauty of mathematics and the interest of the student is an important part of this methodology for children and adults. The solution of any task goes through a mental campaign. You can learn more about the Singapore Method on the platform, just visit E Singapore Math website.
Teachers give students clear sentences by introducing basic vocabulary. Knowing this, you will be able to understand the material. This approach to the study of mathematics will be understandable to adults and children. Even with basic knowledge, young children find these lessons interesting. It’s not monotonous, it’s not scary, and it’s not boring. The Singapore method develops a deep understanding; students succeed in solving any problem.
Why Singapore Math Method is Popular?
Schools in South Asia are recognized as some of the most successful in science teaching techniques. For this reason, European and American schools have studied their approaches through student exchange programs. Thanks to this technique, the Singapore technique is understandable for children and adults with different levels of training. It is used not only for schoolchildren but also for students. The examples show mathematical equations of any level of complexity. Teachers do not have 30 years of experience; they study this technique in 2-3 years.
The Principle of the Singapore Math Method Teaching
Mathematics here is based on different approaches so that students use different points of view. This can be seen in the lesson structure:
- Specificity (students see objects and pictures to understand a mathematical task. It can be 5 cubes or 7 bears. Visualization is needed so that the child sees a specific object for calculation. You can ask to remove 2 bears or add 3 cubes).
- Abstraction (there are no things here, only a representation. The child remembers cubes and bears, but now he only has numbers. Here we do not use 5 cubes and 7 bears – only 5 and 7. He must associate numbers with certain objects).
- Problem solving (this is a discussion and possible linear images. For example, the teacher lists the vehicles that passed by the school and asks the children to name the number of pairs of wheels that passed in general. There is a discussion and application of logical abilities).
You must understand that your child may find it difficult to perceive mathematics if he learns formulas. He must use all types of memory in order to use them to solve the problem. Parents should show him mathematics with everyday examples. These are the usual things he sees every day. Even the youngest children will understand the lessons more easily if they have seen examples at home – instead of cubes and bears, these can be plates, buttons on his jacket, towels in the bathroom and other items (usual to him).
How Can Parents Help Children?
Many (even most) parents remember math lessons from other methods and programs. This is a set of textbooks with rules and formulas. It was difficult for them to understand the next material if they missed one lesson. They saw this science as terrible and incomprehensible because everything was based on direct memorization. Many modern people remember the old familiar education program where the understanding of mathematics did not come to everyone. The multiplication table was not understandable, she just learned by heart.
If it is difficult for parents to help a child with the Singapore Method, then there are special trainings where they can also study the material. It will be useful to do homework with children and show them the mistakes to work on. Many schools offer such training for parents. But you also need to understand two basic rules for your child to celebrate themselves comfortably during class:
- Meeting your child’s needs. Children have different understanding of the material. Some do it faster, others slower. Your upbringing and checking homework is care and patience. Teachers give information within one lesson, but children go to their parents with questions. Be patient, explain incomprehensible points, tell it in a simple game way.
- Support your child at home. If you are patient and find more time for your child, then you can help him with math even at home. Show the math problem with a simple example. Use things that the child uses every day. There are 4 pans in the kitchen, 3 plates on the table. You are waiting for the guests how many plates to add to the table.
The Singapore method breaks these old patterns, it teaches children to “feel” the numbers and any problems are solved in an understandable language. Parents should teach their child simple basics of mathematics so that it is easier for him to start schooling. But this technique will be understandable to people with the most basic knowledge, so it has become popular among schoolchildren and students. But the goal of parents is to help the child and answer his questions. Teachers give information only within the framework of the school lesson; at home the child may have questions and come to you.
The Singapore Method of learning mathematics is becoming more popular. This is even used in some British schools. Children of varying degrees of preparation understand such material easier than the program we are used to. This allows them to learn the material faster and be ready for more complex mathematical problems. Parental input is also important because many children are embarrassed to ask questions during class. They trust their parents, so they come to them with questions.
But the problem is that many parents are busy and they don’t have the patience to do homework with their children. This leads to the fact that children become closed. Mathematics turns into a lesson that does not arouse interest. Learn to be patient and attentive. The Singapore Method makes this material accessible, interesting, and understandable. But parents should keep the child’s interest and develop it at home.