In this article, I will outline some of the best beard shaping tips as shared by the pros.
But before I dive into the meat of the article, I should let you know that beard shaping requires discipline and a lot of trying and testing. And after reading this article, you will be able to know how to shape a beard at home.
Let’s get rolling!
Never expect a beard to grow perfectly in a stunning shape on its own. There is much to be done to grow and maintain a beard. Equally, there are numerous beard shaping techniques. Once your beard has grown for some time, you need to shape it properly. Note that your beard is known by you and that’s why it is advisable to choose products and use techniques suitable for you.
You do it wrong? Don’t get mad, beards grow back.
Beard shaping is a routine just like how you maintain your hair on your head. You must know how, where and when to trim your beard neckline, how to keep your beard in the right length and how to do it properly so that you can land on the beard style that works for you.
That being said, you also need to know that your face shape will determine your beard style. You must aim to shape your beard to complement your face shape.
For that reason, you must know:
- How to shape a beard neckline
- How to shape a short beard
- How to shape a long beard
- How to shape a beard cheek line
- How to shape a beard jawline
- How to shape a beard to a face
- How to shape a square beard
I recommend you to know all the above because circular or square faces need a beard a complementary beard shape and same is rectangular, triangular and oblong faces.
So, without much ado, let’s get into the beard shaping tips.
- Choose a Beard Style According to Your Face Shape
As I have mentioned above, your face shape will determine your beard style so, when shaping your beard, ensure the style compliments your face. If you have a circular face a V style will work best for you but a boxy style won’t compliment your face. Also, you need to consider the length of your beard. A much longer beard may not be a perfect one but a shorter beard can look orderly and intact.
- Ensure to Condition it Well to Maintain a Good Texture
Whether your beard is long or short, it’s crucial to ensure you condition it regularly. Daily conditioning of your beard will prevent it from having split ends or tangles thus allowing you to get an accurate shape when trimming it. To condition your beard properly, you may want to use products such as a beard oil, beard butter or beard balm repeatedly.
All these products contain components that help to keep your skin and beard properly conditioned.
- Pick a Beard Shape that Compliments Your Hair
There are people who have bald and others, thick head hair. The most important thing to do is to pick a beard shape that compliments your hair. For bald headed people, a slightly shorter beard works well.
- Pick the Right Tools for Your Beard Shaping Work
If you know how to shape a beard at home, you need to have with you the critical tools for the job.
Here are the necessary tools you need in your arsenal:
- Shears: This is a suitable tool if you are growing a longer beard
- Beard Trimmer: A quality beard trimmer will do well if you want stubble look; however, it might not work perfectly when it comes to shaping and styling of longer beards since it is a bit heavy and getting accurate lines can be a tough exercise.
- Electric Razor: An electric razor is ideal for cleaning your lines and clears follicles on the areas surrounding your beard. But remember to incorporate a good shaving cream to feel comfortable while shaving.
- Beard shaping tool
- Trim Your Beard Regularly
Another way to prevent the ends of your beard from getting frayed and uncomfortable is to trim it regularly. Trimming a beard keeps it in a well-stylized manner.
- A Standard Soap Might Not Work Well for Your Follicles
A standard soap may lead to dry follicles and so in addition to the regular conditioning of your beard; you need to pick the right soap for your face. This will not only prevent dryness on your follicles but will also keep your beard in a perfect shape.
- Use a Beard Comb to Keep Your Beard in the Right Shape.
Well, there is a notable between a beard brush and a beard comb when it comes to styling and so if you want to keep your beard looking incredible, then a beard comb should not miss in your arsenal. However, you must ensure to use a quality beard comb that is well polished to prevent your follicles from sagging when combing your beard.
- Know How to Shape the Boarders
When it comes to the borders of a beard, different men have different preferences so you need to know how and where to fade. Nevertheless, a trimmer can help to trim the borders; however, you must use the lowest settings.
The key areas to observe are the cheek lines and necklines. In this case, you need to know how to trim the beard neckline and cheek lines.
- Ensure Your Beard is Washed and Dry Before You Start the Shaping Process
You must clean your facial hair before shaping. I recommend using shampoo and conditioner for the work. After you’ve taken bath, ensure to wait for your beard to dry completely. You can use a blow-dryer on a low heat setting to dry it quickly.
- Leave the Work to Pros
If it’s your first time to grow a beard, shaping it can be a bit of a “needle in haystack” scenario. Note that you will likely end up messing up with the cheek lines even if you look into the mirror while shaping it. Why would you struggle to get things done right when you can leave the work to the professionals? Barbers are people who do that on a daily basis.
Take Home Message
Using the beard shaping tips I’ve outlined above will leave you with a well-kempt and more presentable beard. From picking a beard style that compliments your face shape to leaving the beard shaping to the experts, none of these tips should be skipped.