Even though bug bites can be terrible and irritating, there are some remedies that will help you in curing bug bites in no time. Essential oils for bug bites can be very effective if used correctly.
These oils reduce inflammation and itchiness, thus, taking the misery out of painful bug bites. These plant-based oils also help in reducing the temptation to scratch, which help in preventing further infections. This article will list out some essential oils that you can use in case of a bug bite for quick relief:
1. Peppermint oil helps in preventing the burning and itching from bug bites. Peppermint oils helps in creating a cooling sensation on the skin. Peppermint oil also has a anti-microbial property, thereby reducing the risk of further infection, especially for those who have sensitive skin.
2. Tea tree oil is one of the best essential oils for bug bites. It helps in preventing bacteria and other microbes from growing in a bug bite. Tea tree oils also help in reducing scratching, thereby the risk of further scratching and aggravated infection.
Tea tree oils also act as natural antihistamines, thereby mitigating the effects of allergic reactions and further itching. It also helps in mitigating redness, swelling and itchiness. Tea tree oils also have the incredible ability to take away localized pain. It helps in numbing the pain in the given area, so you can no longer feel the bug bite.
3. Lavender oil has a calming effect on the skin, thus it helps to alleviate the distress caused by a bug bite. It also helps to reduce the pain and itchiness of both mosquito and bug bites.
4. Lemongrass oil has many antimicrobial effects which help to contain the spread of insect-borne diseases, including those borne of mosquitoes. Lemongrass oil also has anti-inflammatory properties and thus helps in reducing inflammation, thereby making the bug bite less painful.
5. Camphor oil is also effective for treating bug bites as it creates a pleasant warming sensation on the skin, thereby reducing the itching from bug bites. However, if the bite burns and doesn’t itch that much, avoid using camphor oil as it can worsen the itch.
6. Chamomile oil also helps against bug bites. This is because chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to prevent allergic reactions, itching and burning sensations that are often associated with bug bites.
7. Basil essential oil too helps to heal bug bites and scars. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. You can also dilute basil oil in a carrier oil like coconut oil. Coconut oil is an anti-bacterial oil that helps to soothe the bug bites. Adding some coconut oil to either tea tree or lavender oil will also help in healing of wounds.
8. Patchouli oil has traditionally been used in Japan and China to treat both snake as well as insect bites. Patchouli oils also have the ability to ease localized inflammation and speed up the process of healing of the skin. It has many antiseptic properties; thus it helps to prevent further infection. This oil belongs to the same plant family as mint and lavender, and also has a mild scent. Thus, it helps to soothe the emotional distress caused by a bug bite.
9. Palmarosa oil is also a popular Ayurvedic medicine that helps in healing wounds, rashes, and bug bites really fast. It helps in moisturizing the skin and has potent antiseptic properties which helps one get rid of bug bites. This oil is also a cheap and popular substitute for Rose Essential Oil. Thus, this oil not only has a beautiful scent, it also helps to moisten the skin, thereby guarding it against further infections.
10. Rosemary oil has long been revered for decades for its healing and protective properties. It also helps one cope with painful bug bites. It helps in repelling a wide variety of species of insects, helps in soothing the sting from spider bites and makes the scars heal faster. Dilute rosemary oil in some water or another carrier oil before applying it on the skin to avoid skin irritation.
11. Thyme essential oil makes an essential oil for spider bites because of its anti-septic properties. Thyme contains a chemical called thymol that helps in soothing the itchiness, redness and pain. You can also blend thyme and eucalyptus essential oil together and apply it for best results until the scars have completely disappeared and your skin looks as good as before.
You can combine witch hazel with any one of the essential oils above, by diluting it. Witch hazel helps one get rid of bug bites by reducing the swelling, itching, and pain. Apple cider vinegar can also be an effective carrier that promotes fast healing. You can also use macadamia nut oil as a carrier oil for these essential oils. You can simply dilute twenty drops of the essential oil of your choice in two teaspoons of the carrier oil and then apply it to your skin.
You can also prepare a special bug repellant spray. Simply use ten drops of lavender or tea tree oil, a few teaspoons of avocado or olive oil and use a few drops of peppermint oil for a cooling sensation. Then you can bottle up this concoction in a light jar and use it as many times as needed.
You can also create your own ointment with added essential oils. For this, add a few drops of an essential oil to a carrier oil like jojoba oil, coconut oil or a beeswax salve. Then, add about two to three drops per ounce, and mix in well.
You can also create an essential oil bath. For this, you need to add about fifteen drops of your preferred essential oil to the same amount of a carrier oil. Then you shake the mixture, after which you add it to your bath water. You can apply this directly and topically to the most painful bug bites and apply it as many times as you want on the skin. Thus, if you can try out the benefits of all these oils that are mentioned before, you will be able to put up an effective fight against spider bites. Make sure that you take necessary precautions before venturing out into the open so that you are adequately prepared.