As of 2022, medical marijuana is now legal in 37 states throughout the U.S. Each state has its own rules and regulations surrounding the use and sale of medical marijuana, but the general laws are similar.
Patients who qualify to use medical cannabis must obtain a medical marijuana card from their state of residence. This entails a doctor’s consultation, an application with the state’s MMJ program, and paying associated fees.
Acquiring an MMJ card is often tedious, time-consuming, and confusing, leaving many patients feeling disparaged.
Fortunately, with the increasing level of marijuana legalization and demand, there has been an increase in the range of convenient services. One of the most popular being online medical marijuana card websites, which help patients through the process of obtaining an MMJ card.
Some of these websites are legit, but there are also some scam sites to be aware of.
How to Obtain a Medical Marijuana Card
It’s important to understand the process of obtaining a medical marijuana card because it can help you determine whether an online MMJ card site is legit. These sites cannot change the process; they simply make it more seamless.
The laws surrounding medical cannabis vary from state to state, including the qualifying conditions. Therefore, you need to check your state’s list of qualifying conditions to see if you’re eligible for an MMJ card.
Here are the general steps required to obtain a medical marijuana card, though, again, the process may differ slightly between states.
- Consult with your primary care physician, who will determine whether your condition requires the use of medical marijuana.
- If your doctor approves medical marijuana as a treatment, you can sign up with your state’s medical marijuana registry. This can usually be done online. You will need to submit proof that your doctor has approved the use of medical cannabis.
- You may need to create an online account where you can submit your application and doctor’s approval. You also likely have to submit other documentation, like your ID and proof of residents.
- Pay the medical marijuana card fee. You should be able to make the payment online.
- Once you receive your MMJ card, you can legally start buying medical marijuana.
What to Expect from Legitimate MMJ Card Sites?
The goal of trustworthy MMJ card sites is to make the process of acquiring your card simple, easy, and stress-free.
Companies such as Veriheal are well-respected leaders in the market. Numerous positive Veriheal reviews online support claims that this is a reputable company that you can trust.
Once on Veriheal’s website, you can select your state and then follow a 3-step process:
- Schedule an online appointment via the site to consult with a medical marijuana doctor (AR).
- Consult with the doctor at a time convenient to you for 10-15 minutes to assess your ailments and ask any questions. The doctor will complete a medical marijuana recommendation form on your behalf if you are approved.
- Once you are approved, you can register with the state and submit an application. You can pay the MMJ card fee directly to the state.
Medical marijuana card sites like Veriheal charge a fee for their services. Veriheal’s fee is $199.00 annually. Although this may sound like a lot, it usually works much cheaper than consulting a doctor independently – they may charge upwards of $1,000.00 annually.
NuggMD is another MMJ card website with a good reputation.
Medical Marijuana Card Scams to Look out for
One scam that seems to be circulating at the moment involves fake printed medical marijuana cards. Most cards these days are digital. After successfully submitting your MMJ application and paying your state fee, you can download your digital medical marijuana card onto your smartphone.
Therefore, if any MMJ doctor or website insists you need a printed plastic card, it’s a red flag. They are possibly trying to scam you into paying for something you don’t need. However, some states may still be using physical cards, so do some research.
Another potential scam is one whereby the MMJ card site requests you to pay the state fee over to them, promising to pay it over to the state on your behalf. They may have no intention of doing so; instead, fraudulently keeping those funds for themselves.
Typically, you will be required to pay a service fee – which should include the doctor’s fee – to the site. However, they shouldn’t request the state fee. You can pay that directly to the state when you submit your application.
Also, be wary of sites that either don’t require you to consult with a doctor or are willing to approve you for MMJ when you don’t suffer from one of your state’s qualifying conditions. Although it may seem like a nice and easy way to access medical marijuana, you’re violating the law and could get into serious trouble. Companies willing to follow such practices are questionable.
Final Thoughts on Online MMJ Card Websites
MMJ card sites, like Veriheal, have made obtaining a card much more effortless. They walk you through the process step-by-step and connect you with doctors approved to recommend medical marijuana as a treatment.
Unfortunately, though, for every legit medical marijuana card site, there is also a “scam” one. Be wary of companies wanting to take extra fees, like the state fee, and those willing to cut corners or break the law. Always do your research and check company reviews to determine whether a site is trustworthy and legitimate.