Are you looking for unique recipes with a special taste? We got you covered! In this article, we will present different recipes with beer that your family and friends will enjoy. These recipes are perfect for special occasions or regular days.
Beer is good when consumed moderately. Among the various alcoholic drinks, it is the most nutritious beverage. It has the same abundance of antioxidants as wine but is higher in vitamin B and protein. Beer is also rich in fiber, phosphates, calcium, and iron.
Because of these nutrients, beer contributes to lowering bad cholesterol, strengthening the bones, and improving cognitive function. These health benefits give you more reasons to consume beer in healthier ways. One of these ways is by including it as an ingredient in your meals. So, without further ado, let us learn what these recipes are!
1. Beer Onion Soup
For those who love serving soups in their meals, this recipe is for you! It got its inspiration from the French onion soup with cheddar cheese and caramelized onions. To get started, you need the following ingredients:
- A pinch of pepper and salt
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 diagonal slices of baguette (toasted)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 12-oz bottle of pale ale
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cook onions in a saucepan until they are golden brown, about 30 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Add pepper and salt to the onions and mix them well.
- Dust the onions with flour and cook for another minute.
- Pour the beer into the saucepan and bring it to a boil while constantly stirring.
- Add the broth and bring it to another boil. Adjust the seasoning.
- Lower the heat to allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scoop the soup into the bowls and place 1 slice of toasted baguette in each bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese on each bowl and bake the bowls of soup until the cheese is golden brown.
This recipe is good for 6 servings.
2. Beer And Maple-Braised Ham
If you are looking for simplicity in your dish, this recipe is a must-try! The classic ham cut will turn into something flavorful using simple ingredients. Here is what you need for the ingredients:
- 1 4-5-lb ham (spiral cut)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 12-oz bottle of beer
- Whisk black pepper, sugar, mustard, beer, and jam together in a pot for the glaze.
- Boil the mixture while whisking occasionally.
- Lower the heat to thicken the mixture, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and leave it aside.
- Add water into the slow cooker’s insert.
- Brush the ham with glaze and place the ham in the insert.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the ham on low heat for 6-7 hours. Make sure the ham is completely hot. Refrigerate the glaze while cooking the ham.
- Ten minutes before the ham is cooked, reheat the glaze in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir the glaze frequently.
- Once the ham is cooked, place it on a serving dish and brush it with the heated glaze.
- Slice the ham and serve the slices with the remaining glaze.
This recipe has 10-12 servings.
3. Beer-Battered Tilapia With Chips
Try this amazing combination of fried tilapia and chips! It is a great snack for your family and friends. You will need these ingredients for the recipe:
- Vegetable oil
- Ground black pepper and salt
- 1 1/2 bottles of beer (12 oz)
- 3 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tilapia fillet (split in half and patted dry)
For the chips:
- Vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes (cut in slices)
For the tartar sauce:
- Ground black pepper
- 1 oz pickle brine
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 2 oz caper berries (chopped)
- 1 Kosher pickle (diced)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Season tilapia with pepper and salt.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add beer in the mixture and mix well. It’s okay to have lumps.
- Coat the fish with flour and soak it in the beer mixture. You will need extra flour for this.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan.
- Carefully place the fish in the heated oil and fry it until both sides are golden brown.
For the chips:
- Wash the potato slices under running water until the water is clear.
- Strain the slices and heat the vegetable oil.
- Blanch the potato slices in the heated oil until there are bubbles on their outer layer.
- Remove the fries from the oil and let them cool.
- Heat the oil again and cook the fries until they are golden brown.
- Remove the fries and sprinkle salt on them.
For the tartar sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
Adding Beer While Preparing Or Cooking Your Dishes
Pouring beer directly from its bottle while you prepare or cook your food can sometimes splatter. This is especially true if you are in a hurry to prepare your food. What you can do is use a drinking glass to avoid this. This also lets you have good control while you pour the beer. So, when cooking, pour some amount of beer in the drinking glass. Use the glass to add the beer into your food mixture.
You can use your drinking glasses at home for this purpose. However, if you want to make sure you are using the right type of glass, purchase a beer drinking glass. Having this type of glass also gives you a different cooking experience. When you pour beer straight into the glass, the beverage activates its carbonation, creating a foam. The tiny bubbles in the foam releases a unique aroma, which gives the food a distinctive taste.
When purchasing beer drinking glasses, make sure to get them from a trusted manufacturer. One company you can try is Roetell. They offer drinking glasses for milk, wine, and beer in different sizes and designs. They also offer customizations, so you can make the glasses more personalized. To learn more about their products, check out these beer drinking glasses!
These recipes with beer as an ingredient will let you taste something different and unique. They are also ideal for bonding with your family or friends as you prepare. There are still a lot of recipes that use beer, but you can start with the list above. So, choose which one you would like to try first and make your meals more appetizing!