By now, each one of us is aware of the importance of our body’s immune system. It works as a defense mechanism against the outside unwanted invaders like infectious viruses and bacteria. Your immunity is the most powerful weapon against all kinds of infections. Hence, it is very essentials to be aware of the ways by which you can boost your immunity during the Covid-19 pandemic and beyond.
7 Methods to Boost Your Immunity as Given by John Spach:
- Keep the Interactive Cells of Your Brain Active- Yes! You heard it right. Even in these times, where social distancing is the need of the hour, you must find out alternative ways to stay in touch with your loved ones. Being in a constant state of isolation gives rise to the feeling of loneliness and depression which may have adverse effects on your immunity. Therefore, positively use the technology, make frequent video and voice calls, and talk your heart out with your friends and relatives.
- Keep Yourself Well-Hydrated– To maintain an optimal body temperature and healthy immune response, it is very essential to stay hydrated throughout the day. Develop a habit of keeping a record of the amount of water you take every day. For smooth functioning of your immunity, you must drink at least 8 to 10 cups of water daily.
- Get Enough Amount of Sleep- Getting an adequate amount of sleep boosts up your immune system naturally. It is scientifically proven that your sleeping habits are directly linked to the working quality of your immune system. Therefore, you must have at least 7 hours of sleep each day. For good quality sleep, try to limit your screen timing before sleeping.
- Cut Back on Added Sugars-Various researches have shown that added sugars disrupt our immune system badly and lead us to fall into the state of obesity. It increases the risk of getting sick. Limit your sugar intake to less than 5% of your daily calories which equals about 25 grams for someone on 2,000 calorie-diet.
- Indulge Yourself in Some Form of Moderate Exercise Routine– An active body is the primary residence of a healthy functioning immune system. Moderate exercises boost your immunity by reducing the level of inflammation. Popular examples of moderate exercises are jogging, swimming, brisk walking and steady bicycling, etc.
- Practice Meditation and Work on Improving Your Mental Health– In these tough times, the bigger challenge is to keep ourselves and our minds positive. We must practice meditation daily to avoid stress and anxiety. Too much anxiousness has adverse effects on our immune system hence along with physical fitness mental well-being should also be a cause of concern.
- Keep a Balanced Diet-You must protect your body from getting nutrients deficient. Take a proper and well-balanced diet including grains, beans, nuts, leafy vegetables, and seeds. These food items help in improving the nutritional value of your food and boost up your immune system.
According to JohnSpach, our immune system is the only weapon available to us against this deadly coronavirus. Hence, it becomes our responsibility to take care of it by following the above-given tips and tricks.