Are you seeking a healthy, delicious breakfast staple that won’t sabotage your low-carb keto diet? Look no further than this homemade low carb English muffin recipe! With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have a fresh and tasty breakfast option that won’t derail your diet goals.
The Importance of a Healthy Breakfast
Breakfast is often considered the essential meal of the day for a good reason. It sets the tone for your day and gives your body the energy to tackle your daily tasks. Eating a healthy morning preparation can help reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, heart attacks, and obesity.
However, traditional breakfasts, such as cereal, toast, and bagels, can be high in carbohydrates and sugar. This can cause blood sugar levels to spike and then crash, leaving you feeling sluggish and hungry just a few hours later. By choosing a low-carb option, such as these homemade English muffins, you can help to stabilise your blood sugar levels and maintain your energy throughout the morning.
English Muffin Recipe
To make these delicious and healthy keto English muffins, you’ll need the following:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Coconut oil or butter
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Substitutions and Additions
If you don’t have almond flour or coconut flour on hand, you can try substituting it with other low-carb flour, such as hazelnut or flaxseed flour. Add ingredients like shredded cheese or chopped herbs to give your English muffins extra flavour.
Instructions for the preparation:
Follow these easy steps to make your low-carb English muffins:
- Whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, melted coconut oil or butter, and almond milk in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients and stir until a thick batter forms.
- Grease a microwave-safe ramekin or mug with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into the ramekin, filling it about halfway.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until the muffin is cooked and no longer wet on top.
- Remove from the microwave and let cool for a few minutes before slicing in half with a sharp knife.
- Toast the muffin halves in a toaster or toaster oven until lightly browned.
- Serve your low-carb English muffins with your favourite toppings, such as butter, avocado, or a poached egg.
Variations on This Menu
Once you’ve mastered the basic low carb English muffin recipe, you can get creative with variations and additions. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Sweet Muffins: Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a packet of Stevia to the batter for a sweet breakfast treat. Top with sugar-free jam or whipped cream cheese.
- Savoury Muffins: Add chopped herbs, such as basil or chives, and a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese to the batter. Top with sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella for a low-carb take on a classic Caprese sandwich.
- Breakfast Sandwich: Use your keto English muffin as a base for a delicious breakfast sandwich. Add scrambled eggs, bacon, and a slice of cheese for a filling and satisfying meal.
Eating a low-carb breakfast doesn’t have to mean sacrificing taste or convenience. With this easy low-carb muffin recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy breakfast in just a few minutes. Try out different variations and toppings to find your perfect breakfast combination. Happy cooking!