Aside from furniture, an incredible paint job, proper arrangement, and good looks overall, appliances are one of the things that complete a comfortable home. Appliances such as refrigerators, microwave ovens, washing machines, etc., all help us do important everyday tasks. Without these essential items, we’d be doing everything at a wasteful, time-consuming pace.
Imagine having to chuck wood every time before cooking meals. Imagine having only an icebox to keep frozen foods like meat and fish fresh for tomorrow’s meal. Imagine doing laundry by hand. Of course, you could do all of these tasks the basic way, but we live in highly urbanized areas that require fast action and resolution.
Appliances are key items in our house that we often take for granted. So what happens when these appliances break down? When appliances break down, you could again imagine the things mentioned above or opt to buy an expensive, brand-new replacement for them. Or you could take care of your appliances better so they’d last longer. So how do you do it? This article will show you how to take care of your appliances. For professional guidance and repair services in the Brookhaven area, consider reaching out to Brookhaven Appliance Repair to ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your appliances.
We’ve listed down some of the most basic appliances every household should have. Although some of these tips can be tough, you’re better off cleaning or pressing a button by yourself rather than buying a brand new one.
Fridge and Freezers
These essential appliances keep your food fresh and ready for later consumption. Unfortunately, when these break down, your food spoils, and you’ll be left with a stinky mess. Here are some tips to help you take care of your refrigerator and freezer.
- Change filters as necessary.
- Clean door gaskets.
- Don’t slam the fridge door.
- Avoid opening and closing your fridge door all the time without apparent reason.
- Keep food properly stored and covered to avoid spilling.
- Keep your fridge’s coils clean.
If your fridge is making weird noises or not cooling enough, you should call in a professional. White Plains Appliances Repair is an excellent example of professional help you can call to help you with your appliance repair needs. In these cases, professionals should handle the repair work.
Washing Machine and Dryer
Your washing machine helps you wash and dry your clothes much easier compared to traditional hand-washing and line drying. Here are some tips to keep these appliances in running condition:
- Don’t overload your washing machine and dryer. Only load the recommended weight or number of clothes it can handle.
- Clear the lint filter, lint screen, and lint trap.
- Replace any hoses that have cracks or bulges.
- Don’t slam the doors on your washing machine or dryer.
- Your dryer’s exhaust vent should be free from debris. Clean it regularly.
Call a professional to help you with your washing machine and dryer if it makes rattling or clicking noises while operating. Overloading is usually the culprit for these weird noises so check to see if your machine has too much load while operating.
Professional repairers should also check dryers that take an unusually long time to dry your clothes. Don’t tinker with a broken appliance, as you’ll likely cause more harm than good. You might also be voiding your warranty if you do so.
HVAC stands for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. During hot or cold seasons, your HVAC helps regulate the temperature inside your home to a level you prefer. Although any problems with your HVAC should be left to professionals, there are some things you can do to make your appliance longer:
- Check the air filters. Dirty air filters restrict air and make motors run harder, cutting your machine’s operating life shorter.
- Check evaporator drain.
- Make sure that the unit is level.
- Monitor the thermostat to see if HVAC is performing as it should be.
- Before winter comes, run your heating system so it’ll have an easier time starting up should the cold seasons come in.
Weird noises are also of concern with HVACs and AC units. If it’s not too far up, you can usually remove the debris causing the sounds while your HVAC is operating. Call a technician to help you with repairs if there are still noises. If you notice that your AC or HVAC isn’t cooling enough, it may have a leak, or there isn’t enough refrigerant in the unit. Your technician can also do this for you.
This valuable appliance helps you reheat leftovers and other food. When it comes to preventing food waste, microwaves are some of the best. Here are some tips to take care of your microwave:
- Cover food so it won’t splatter inside the oven.
- Only use plates or wares that are labeled as “Microwave-safe.”
- Don’t put metal in the microwave oven.
- Do not use the microwave to dry clothing or anything else other than reheating or cooking food.
- Don’t slam the door; most microwave doors are made of glass and can shatter easily.
Microwaves might emit a low-humming sound as this is considered normal. However, call a repairer to have it fixed if there are other sounds such as squeaking or thumping while it’s turned on. Another sign that your microwave oven needs fixing is if sparks or unusual lighting are going on inside. If this happens, calmly unplug your microwave and have it serviced.
There are many appliances inside your home that we might not mention here. As a general rule, if an appliance isn’t running properly, turn it off and unplug it. It’s better to let a professional look at your appliance rather than having to take apart the machine yourself.
Aside from causing more damage to an appliance, inexperienced handling can also cause bodily injuries and damage to other properties. Updating system software for smart appliances such as TVs and security cameras that are slow or malfunctioning can do the trick.
Always check your appliances to find out what’s wrong or what needs cleaning. Most of the time, removing debris or cleaning a filter usually solves the problem. However, if the machine still isn’t functioning properly, call in a professional repairman to do repairs. Also, you can try contacting the manufacturer to check for your appliance’s warranty.