Yogurt is rich in vitamins B2, B5, B12, calcium, and zinc. Zinc acts as a mild astringent, which helps in tightening skin tissues. It prevents excessive oil secretion from the skin, thus helping in acne reduction. Zinc in yogurt reduces redness and inflammation. Calcium assuages skin renewal. Lactic acid in yogurt works as a good moisturizer and it helps to prevent wrinkles.
Doing a patch test on a part of your elbow for these masks is always advisable. You know your skin way better than anyone out there, so use what suits you.
Fabhow has several of these DIY step-by-step recipes with pictures.
Classic Yogurt Mask
- Fresh hung yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- This mask will be your favorite. You just need some yogurt, which is not watery and honey.
- Mix both the ingredients together and apply to face. Let it stay on the face for 10 minutes and then rinse it off. Your skin will feel supple, bright, and moisturized.
Honey is a good substitute for anti-aging creams. It softens the skin naturally. If you have sensitive skin, mix honey with rose water and then use it.
Brightening Yogurt Mask
- One lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh yogurt (preferably full cream)
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out its juice in a glass bowl.
- Next, in a bowl of yogurt, mix the lemon juice. Add honey and mix well. It is advisable to use this mask as you make it.
- Leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes. Do not store it for more than 12 hours if required. It will help lighten and brighten your skin.
Lemon is the secret magician here. It works wonders on your skin. Lemon has vitamin C and anti-oxidants, which wipe away dark spots and dullness; leaving your skin bright and glowing.
Rose Yogurt Mask
- 2 tbsp organic rosewater
- 1 fresh rose
- Rose essential oil
- 2 tbsp fresh cream yogurt
- 1tsp glycerin
- Add rose water to yogurt in a bowl. Now add some rose petals and grind them slightly in the bowl itself.
- Add few drops of rose essential oil and glycerin. Mix this well.
- Apply it on face and neck evenly and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse with clean water.
Rose is a natural skin toner, because of its astringent like properties. Rose has vitamin C, which is a strong anti-oxidant. It protects skin cells from damage.
Banana Yogurt Mask
- One small ripe banana
- One ripe avocado (optional)
- Fresh yogurt
- Make a banana and avocado mash. To this add some fresh yogurt to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this on your face and wash after 20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water.
- This mask prevents premature aging and tightens your skin.
Why banana and avocado?
A ripe avocado and banana will both be easier to mash. Loaded with vitamin A and C, the banana and avocado together make a superpower face pack and make the skin youthful. Banana has vitamin E, which reduces the aging effect from the skin.
Chamomile Yogurt Mask
- Chamomile essential oil
- Plain organic yogurt
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Mix a few drops of chamomile essential oil with yogurt. Let this stay on your face for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water. Yogurt has zinc, which cools down the sunburn largely.
Why chamomile and rose?
Chamomile helps in healing sunburn effect. It is the best oil for reducing redness and rashes. Rose water helps soothe sunburn. Chamomile and rose both have anti-inflammatory and cooling properties.
Indian Style Yogurt Mask
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 2 tsp rose water or raw milk
- Fresh plain yogurt
- This one is an age old tried and tested face pack being used by Indian women.
- Add gram flour and turmeric powder to yogurt. To smoothen this paste, add rose water or raw milk.
- Mix well until no lumps are seen. Leave this pack on your face for 30 minutes.
- Once dried completely, remove the mask with the help of any liquid moisturizer and water.
- If your skin feels too dry, apply some aloe gel or a gentle moisturizer. For best results, make this mask as and when required.
Why turmeric and gram flour?
Turmeric gives radiance to the skin. Gram flour removes black and whiteheads and deeply cleanses the pores. Use this mask for adding that lost sheen back to your face.
Strawberry Yogurt Exfoliating Mask
- 1 fresh organic ripe strawberry
- Plain yogurt
- 1/4th tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mash strawberry in a bowl. Add yogurt to this bowl and mix well.
- Now add honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder to it. Mix all these ingredients well.
- Apply on the face evenly and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse off well.
Strawberry is helpful in exfoliating the skin. Yogurt lightens dark spots. Add a few drops of olive oil to this mask, if you have dry skin. Strawberries are loaded with salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, and vitamin C, which can lighten and brighten up your skin. Also, a ripe strawberry is easier to mash and has more pulp.
Almond Oil Yogurt Mask
- 1 tsp almond oil
- 3-4 almonds (soaked overnight)
- Plain yogurt
- Remove the almond peels and crush them to make a paste. You can also grind them to make a smoother paste.
- Mix yogurt with all the ingredients above. Leave this mask on for 10-15 minutes.
- In case almond oil is unavailable, you can replace almond oil with coconut oil.
Almond is helpful in removing acne scars for oily skin. It has been used for skin whitening since ages. Almond oil is good for removing dark circles.
Charcoal Yogurt Mask
- ½ tsp activated charcoal
- ½ tbsp yogurt
- ½ tsp organic rose water
- Mix yogurt and activated charcoal. Add rose water as required, and make the smooth paste, which can be applied easily.
- Let it sit on your skin for about 15 minutes, until it dries out completely.
- Just do not let it stay on the face for too long, as it might dry out your skin. Rinse well with water.
Why activated charcoal?
If you have oily skin, activated charcoal is a savior for you. It cleans impurities and absorbs toxins from the skin, just like a magnet. It pulls out dirt and pollution, making your skin cleaner than ever.
Cocoa Yogurt Mask
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tbsp yogurt
- ½ tbsp honey
- In a bowl add yogurt. Mix cocoa until no lumps are seen. Add honey as required.
- Apply on your face evenly and rinse after 10-15 minutes.
Cocoa is rich in anti-oxidants, which help in repairing skin cells. It also helps in making the skin glow.